I Know Whom I Have Believed...


Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Waiting in the Yard

Are you waiting in the yard?

boy waiting

On warm summer evenings years ago, my sweet boys would be outside playing with friends in the neighborhood. Sometimes they would be down the street at another home, but most times they would congregate in the cul-de-sac beside our house and play ball.

When it was suppertime, I would open the front door and call their names or wave a signal for them to come inside. If they were down the road, a phone call to a neighborhood mom would usually suffice.

Depending on the evening’s menu and the degree of stomach growling, my boys would usually race to get inside. None of them ever just stood around and waited in the yard.

They knew that if they wanted to eat, they had to come in and not just stand outside waiting for me to bring them something. Dawdling rarely happened because - as we mothers of sons all know - in a growing boy’s stomach mind, hunger wins out over friendship every time.

My boys knew that in order to eat, they had to come inside to the table. Momma loved them bunches, but she sure nuff wasn’t bringing the meal outside to them. They could not stand in the yard and be fed.

falldivider In the story of the prodigal son, the Father has a feast prepared for His returning child and the son comes in to partake of it. His older brother balks at this...

The older son had been out in the field. But when he came near the house, he heard the music and dancing. So he called one of the servants over and asked, "What's going on here?"

The servant answered, "Your brother has come home safe and sound, and your father ordered us to kill the best calf." The older brother got so angry that he would not even go into the house.

Luke 15:25-28 CEV

The younger son went into the house and was fed and danced over. The older son stayed in the yard...

falldivider Are you waiting in the yard?

Maybe a loved one is waiting in the yard...they know the Lord, but their soul is not being fed...their joy is not full...

Maybe you have walked across the yard, climbed the steps, and are standing at the front door, listening to the music, smelling the fragrance...

door

You are hungry...but you just haven’t committed yet to come inside to feast at the table...

You want to dance...but are still scared to participate...

Notice the last part of Luke 15 verse 28...

His father came out and begged him to go in.

The Lord is pleading with His children that are standing outside to open the door and come in...and be filled...and experience the fullness of the Lord...His abundant love and joy...

Do you know someone that is waiting in the yard?

Are you waiting in the yard?

What are you waiting for?

It’s time to come inside....




17 thoughts:

Andrea said...

Beautiful analogy.
Blessings, andrea

Cathy said...

That was a wonderful post, Karen, thank you. Blessings, my friend ~

Denise said...

I have read and re-read the story of the Prodigal son many times in my Christian life.. I have walked in the shoes of the father and of the 'good son" and of the prodigal son. When we open our hearts as we read there are so many dimensions of this love story..... How awesome how the Holy Spirit brings us depth and teaching when we walk through the word. I have been the prodigal and I have been the good son and now I am the father shielding my eyes watching for my son.... How I love the word......

this is a great post...

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

The door is open, isn't it? He beckons us.

Thank you for the reminder to keep watch for those waiting in the yard.

Tammy said...

Yes, I can see my son waiting in the yard. I will keep dinner warm (praying) until he comes inside.

This post touched me!

Karen said...

I loved your story and picture of this truth. It reminds me of a man who would come and stand near the open windows at the mission church, but he would not come in, though he was invited many times. Come and dine, says the Master!
God bless you today, Karen.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"standing in the yard"--great visual Karen. I've been at the table for a long season, but every now and again, there comes a season when I choose the yard over the fine dining inside for a variety of reasons. Never a good idea...

Thanks for stopping by.

peace~elaine

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

You always have great analogy and this is another great one! Thanks for praying for my family.
kim

Jerralea said...

Wonderful post, Karen! That is such a good analogy! I've waited in the yard a few times, but hope to "come boldly to the throne for grace and help in time of need" from now on!

Deborah Ann said...

That was a heart-warming story! I never looked at it that way before, that we are welcome to come in and enjoy God's presence.

What kind of King is this? Who invites all to come and sit at His table. I am overwhelmed...

LisaShaw said...

This so blessed my heart for many reasons Karen. Thank you for sharing.

Love this: "The Lord is pleading with His children that are standing outside to open the door and come in...and be filled...and experience the fullness of the Lord...His abundant love and joy..."

Love you.

Kelly L said...

Loved this post - great analogy and beautifully written.
Thank you.
Love to you.

Kelly

L Harris said...

Some very good thoughts here! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for stopping by my TSMS post! So glad I came for a visit.

myletterstoemily said...

such a great word picture. the food is
there, we just have to come to the table!

melanie said...

Very thought provoking...and very beautifully written. Your words are such a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! How many times did I "wait in the yard" to learn that if I want some of mamma's pork chops and gravy I had to come in and sit at the table....Tuesday blessings to you ...Loved this post! Excellent!

Post a Comment

I appreciate all who take the time to visit my blog and would love for you to share your thoughts.