I Know Whom I Have Believed...


Thursday, February 26, 2009

What will you do....

Finally...the clock shows 4:59...only one minute to go...if I straighten these papers verrrry slowly, and file this last folder...YES...it's 5:00! Bye, bye desk...so long keyboard...arrivederci old wall, and au revoir, mon amies...this girl is out of here!

That could be a typical end of work day routine for many 9 to 5'vers. If you have the "luxury" of working from home as I do, the typical work day is...not. Each work day is different and can run from the crack of dawn until a stopping place is found...sometimes not until midnight. As my husband (he's the boss) is fond of saying, "We never close". I am just thankful we have a job with so many out of work right now.

The end of jobs...

The end of childhood...

The end of relationships...

We face a lot of endings during our life...

I read a scripture the other night that has stayed in my mind all week. Jeremiah was warning Judah about the consequences of ignoring God's laws and listening instead to prophets and priests that were speaking "feel good" words instead of "do good" words.

The prophets prophesy lies,
the priests rule by their own authority,
and my people love it this way.
But what will you do in the end?

Jeremiah 5:31 NIV

Good question!

What will I do at the end of the day?

I should reflect and ask myself...

  • Did I stop and give someone a helping hand when they needed it or did I wait until the time was convenient for me?
  • Did I let my family know they mean the world to me and that if I woke in the morning and they weren't here my heart would break?
  • Did I shine the light of Jesus to someone wandering in the darkness or was I so preoccupied with my own little world that I walked right by and didn't even see?

What will I do at the end of this year?

Will I look back and ask myself...

  • Have I matured in my walk with the Lord or am I still dependent on what I see and feel instead of what I know?
  • Can I count on one hand how many people I have led to Christ or will there be many new members in the family of God because I took the time to share the love of my Saviour?
  • Did I give the best of myself to my God, my family, and the body of Christ or were my priorities elsewhere?

What will I do at the end of my life?

Will I look up and hear my Father say...

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant", or will He say "you were too busy with many things and forgot the better part"?

"You have hidden My Word in your heart" or will He say "your ears have leaned towards the ramblings of others that say what you want to hear and not what you need to hear"?

"You have served Me well by serving others" or will He say "you have served yourself"?

But what will you do in the end?

I like this definition of end – to arrive at a place, situation, or condition as a result of a course of action. Paul said it best in 2 Timothy:

Now the time has come for me to die. My life is like a drink offering being poured out on the altar. I have fought well. I have finished the race, and I have been faithful. So a crown will be given to me for pleasing the Lord. He judges fairly, and on the day of judgment He will give a crown to me and to everyone else who wants Him to appear with power.

Heavenly Father, forgive me for all the times I have failed to show Your love...with a phone call, a hug, or even a smile to someone hurting...and when I failed to be Your hands helping others that are so lost and desperately searching for the truth and the light. Help me to keep my priorities straight and never to forget that better part...Father, you are the Beginning and the End and what I do in the end all rests on what I chose to do right now...In Jesus' Name...

4 thoughts:

Aunt Angie said...

Being poured out---poured out...that has rolled over in my head this morning---I shared it with Aimee...because I had read it this week in my O.Chambers devotional...I was needing the message you have here friend.
I who am so tired of doing the 9-5---which is actually 8-5 but if you count the hour drive to and from ---then it's 7-6...but if you count the time I get up it's....oh never mind. I hardly do anything compared to so many people.
Actually----I am THANKFUL to have a job.

You brought much to me to think on tonight...Thanks Karen. So to all the stuff that goes on in the hours of my work day..."hallelujah anyhow!!!

Andrea said...

Karen, your words are so timely. I often feel that I'm not doing enough or not being enough for the Lord. It's so easy to be preoccupied with things around us. Wednesday night my husband spoke about the importance of being ready for Christ's return. He referred to Jesus' words "Remember Lot's wife." I want to be so focused on Christ that the situations around me are never completely distracting, and I want to be ready when the Lord calls for me and hear Him say, "Well done." God bless.

Carrie said...

I enjoyed this perspective, you have great thoughts and insight!

Denise said...

I have been studying about resting in the Lord....... Living by faith and knowing that anything I do is as fifthly rags and everything that HE did is righteousness....... We reflect on our lives as you spoke but we rejoice in HIS ....... It is HIS life that keeps us...........

Great post !

Post a Comment

I appreciate all who take the time to visit my blog and would love for you to share your thoughts.