I Know Whom I Have Believed...


Saturday, June 13, 2009

He’s Everything to Me - TSMSS

This morning the melody of an old song popped into my head. I learned this song in grade school chorus nearly 40 many years ago. Wonder of wonders, it was actually taught in public schools and sung in public schools. Imagine that! Times have changed...

The song first became popular in 1970 when the movie "The Cross and the Switchblade" was released. This was a true story about the ministry of David Wilkerson. According to Wikipedia and IMDb:

Reverend Wilkerson served as pastor in small churches...until he saw a photograph in Life Magazine in 1958 of seven New York City teenagers charged with murder. He later wrote that, as he felt the Holy Spirit move him with compassion, he was drawn to go to New York in February 1958. It was then that he began his street ministry to underprivileged inner-city youth.

David Wilkerson is well-known for these early years of his ministry to young drug addicts and gang members in New York City in the 1950s and 1960's. Wilkerson co-authored a book about his work with the New York drug addicts, The Cross and the Switchblade, which became a best-seller...The book has sold over 50 million copies in over thirty languages since it was published in 1963. In 1970, the book was also released under the same title as a Hollywood movie...and was included among the 100 most important Christian books of the 20th century.

Although the original events depicted in this classic from the drug infested, gang dominated streets happened over thirty years ago, the life-changing solution that David Wilkerson brought to desperate lives was just beginning...The change in the life of notorious gang leader Nicky Cruz, as shown in the film, proved to be wonderfully lasting and real.

Nicky continues today to reach young people around the world with the same life-changing message of the gospel of Jesus Christ that delivered him from violence and despair. And what about the skinny preacher, David Wilkerson, who braved the meanest streets of New York to tell desperate and drug crazed youth that there was a better way? Now, three decades later, he is still at it with a ministry based in Times Square that is still changing lives and offering genuine hope to countless souls who had given up on life.


He's Everything to Me
Words and music by Ralph Carmichael

In the stars His handiwork I see,
On the wind He speaks with majesty.
Though He ruleth over land and sea,
What is that to me?

I will celebrate Nativity,
For it has a place in history,
Sure, He came to set His people free,
What is that to me?

Til by faith I met Him face to face,
And I felt the wonder of His grace,
Then I knew that He was more
Than just a God who didn't care,
That lived away out there
and .....
Now He walks beside me day by day,
Ever watching o'er me lest I stray,
Helping me to find that narrow way,
He's everything to me.





Please join Amy at Signs, Miracles, and Wonders to enjoy more songs this weekend!

12 thoughts:

Andrea said...

Karen, this song holds a special place in my heart. I well remember singing it with a youth group as a teenager, and oh, how I loved the chorus and the emotional impact I felt with it!

Thank you for sharing it. And, yes, what a powerful ministry David Wilkerson still has. We receive his newsletter. My husband loves it.

Many blessings, and thank you for your birthday wishes!

With Christ's Love,

Andrea

Cathy said...

That is so pretty. Isn't it something that you learned it in school! How the times have changed and sadly, not for the better.

Darlene said...

Great song! I have not heard it before...I like it!
Have a fabulous weekend:)

Sita said...

Wow..what an awesome blast to the past...we sang this so much in our youth group back in the island of Trinidad...amazing...
I also got the DVD Cross and the Switchblade and the book in recent times for my sons to see for our family time...
thanks so much for sharing this..
Love, Sita

Marsha said...

Oh my! This is an oldie bringing about fond memories.

Thank you for sharing this.

Sharon Lynne said...

I am a caregiver for a lady who was a church organist. Last week she started playing this song on her organ, at her home...and we sang it together. A nice moment. It was once my favorite song as a teen.

Sweet Blessings said...

I like these words-"On the wind He speaks with majesty". Thank you for sharing and visiting my blog today. Check back if you can as I am getting ready to release something special for the body of Christ! Blessings to you! Amanda:)

Julie said...

Hey, I remember this song. It was frequently sung in our youth group events, camps, etc.

I also remember The Cross & The Switchblade....

Good times!

Denise said...

Oh I love that song and I have read that book over and over again in years that it was written.... He is a powerful man of God and a testimony that will minister to any spirit!

Andysbethy said...

I don't think I remember hearing the song before, but I remember watching the movie when I was a kid. I will have to look for the book.
I love that HE doesn't change, and the important things He does don't change either, no matter how many years go by.

LisaShaw said...

Beautiful voices. I wasn't familiar with it but it blessed me as did your shring. Love you.

annies home said...

great song allows us to express our love for him

Post a Comment

I appreciate all who take the time to visit my blog and would love for you to share your thoughts.