I Know Whom I Have Believed...


Monday, August 17, 2009

Staying Close to the Window


Earlier this summer, I rescued a plant from the clearance section of a local nursery. Puny and limp, it rode home with me and after careful pruning, watering, and feeding, was placed near a sunny window.


Unfortunately, my dog and cat thought I put it there as a snacking post and proceeded to nibble on the leaves whenever my back was turned. This always caused an almost immediate reversal in their digestive systems. Not a pretty site...


So, the pot was moved to a safe spot on top of a pie safe...away from the sunny window. All summer long, this plant was cared for and seemed to be reviving with new shoots appearing every week.


This past week, the leaves started drooping. Carrying it over to the sink and setting it down, I began my investigation. Underneath the pretty green leaves on top, lurked dried up, brown and yucky looking stems. What had happened? It had looked ok and seemed to do doing pretty well...


As I plucked and clipped and cleaned out all the dried up yucky stuff, my heart remembered the times in my life I tried to hide my dried up yucky stuff with pretty coverings.


From the outside, I looked ok and seemed to be doing pretty well, but inside, my spirit was dry and brittle and...yucky...


I needed that Sonlight

I needed to be close to the window of Heaven


So I could grow in my relationship with the Lord...


God lovingly took His clippers and snipped and pulled and cleaned out all the brown stuff I was covering up, so I could grow stronger and be a new creation in His image.


I want to stay close to that window...how about you?



6 thoughts:

Toknowhim said...

This is such a good analogy... I have been there myself many times, but I am thankful the Lord now shows me my sin, so I can deal with it...

Blessings... Kim

Sharon Lynne said...

Yes, I want to stay close to that window too! Whenever I stop reading the Bible, and don't spend quality time with God, I start to go limp.

So I loved your post as it is so true.

christy rose said...

Thank God that when we get yucky too. He doesn't just toss us aside but he clips and prunes and heals our yuckiness so that we can sprout and bloom again. Great illustration.

Lavonda Pflug said...

Ah yes, me too! Good job of painting a word picture to remind us that pruning is good for us!

LisaShaw said...

Preach on Sister Karen!

This reminds me of "uncovering the cover-up"!

Love you.

Cathy said...

I love that post, Karen. And God shows us His loving care, as you cared for the little plant.

Post a Comment

I appreciate all who take the time to visit my blog and would love for you to share your thoughts.