I Know Whom I Have Believed...


Friday, May 21, 2010

Simple Joys Saturday – Honeysuckles, Soccer, and a Safety Pin

simple joys

My Australian friend Jan has begun a new meme for Saturdays that celebrates the simple joys in life. Please join her to share what she describes as “the little joys and blessings that uplift our week.”

honeysuckle

I enjoyed a sweet memory this week in the form of a scent from childhood. While speeding down the highway towards my home, the aroma of honeysuckle vines filled my car. When I was a child, on lazy summer evenings, my sister and I took joy in plucking honeysuckles from the vine. We would gently remove the flowers and lick the nectar from the bottom of the stem. Simple times, indeed...

soccer

My grandchildren were here one afternoon, and my grandson wanted to play soccer with Nanna. Being the athletically impaired grandma that I am, we still had a fun time. Noah was a gracious young man, and spared Nanna the humiliation of being totally annihilated by a 5 year old by changing some of the “rules”...he is such a sweetie...

800px-Safety_pin2

My granddaughter did not want to go outside since there were no flowers to plant, so she asked to have a safety pin instead. Okay...so why do you want to play with a safety pin? Nanna just doesn’t think sometimes. As she brought to me her preferred “baby” for this visit, in the form of a stuffed young Simba...Katie had a paper towel in her hand and asked, “Will you make me a diaper for baby Simba?” She then proceeded to use her imagination for the rest of the afternoon being the “best mommy”...

Simple joys...great contentment...

Won’t you join us and share one(or more) of your simple joys?




20 thoughts:

christy rose said...

Awww! You are so right! Simple joys of watching children as they take on their world in the purity of their imaginations.

Hope you have a great weekend Karen!!

Carrie said...

I love this theme! I may have to pick it up myself!

Unknown said...

Simple, beautiful, amazing joys! Children are such a blessing!

Jan said...

Oh Karen, it is such a joy to read your Simple Joys.....yes I remember the sweet scent of honeysuckle, and to have your grandchildren around you, absolute bliss.
Yes contentment comes in things money cannot buy.
Love and Blessings - Jan

Barbara said...

They are the best joys in this world, the simple, those are the ones money cannot buy and we know come from God. Hugs Barbara

Kelly L said...

I had forgotten honeysuckles as a kid - wow... I used to love that..

Love to you
Kelly
I've Become My Mother

mariel said...

love those simple pleasures of childhood. sweet post

luvmy4sons said...

Loved this sweet post. Good to stop and appreciate small moments!

Debra Kaye said...

What a great meme! I love the simple things!!

Michelle said...

Simple Joys, isn't that what life is all about?

Denise said...

Simple joys, are the best joys. I love you.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Amen! Have a wonderful weekend!
Wylie

Laurie said...

I can just smell the honeysuckle, Karen! And the simple joys of time with your grandchildren are sweet moments - thank you for sharing these!
Joyously,
Laurie

Joyful said...

Aw those are sweet stories and memories of your grandchildren. It was nice to how you remember the scents of your childhood :-) Blessings xx

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through my sister, Karen, at Lily Valley.

You stirred some favorite memories for me with your simple pleasures.

Our neighbor when I was a child had a lot of honeysuckle and I remember doing what you describe.

Hope you have a weekend full of simple pleasures.

Joan Hall said...

I love this post. I visited the blog and plan to particpate next week. I enjoy living a simple life.

I used to do the same thing with honeysuckle. We still have some growing nearby - the fragrance is so sweet.

Thanks for bringing back a memory.

Just Be Real said...

Karen, thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love this. I too have been finding joy in the simplest of things--taking the time to smell the flowers, listening intently to the beautiful melodies coming from the trees in our backyard as the birds sing, and looking at my children (20 and 17) when they don't know I'm observing them--simple joys that fill my heart. Yesterday we all watched in amazement as the brightest orange colored tiny bird stopped by for a visit. It reminded me of the orange butterfly I wrote about before on my blog. He mesmerized us then flew away. Simple joys.

LisaShaw said...

Oh boy, simple joys indeed. Your grand children are so precious. Beautiful meme idea.

Love you dear friend.

Peggy said...

Awww...sweet simple joys...blessings Karen...how touching the way you share them and your precious grandchildren!!! Hope you have a wonderful week! Love how you write!

Post a Comment

I appreciate all who take the time to visit my blog and would love for you to share your thoughts.